adulting

The Tumble Down the Mountain

2:31 PM


Before I hurt my knee back in April, I was doing such a great job with my health. I was getting lots of exercise in, 5 days a week of working out, if not more, if not multiple times a day. I was eating right and feeling great and finding it to be totally easy to do. I was motivated, excited and feeling amazing.

Then I hurt my knee. I tried to continue with my momentum but when it comes down to it, Crossfit and wanting to get better at Crossfit is what drives me to be better. And, while my knee has been healing, I’ve had to scale workouts so much, not because of skills but because of injury and it just hasn’t felt the same. While, I’ve still gone to Crossfit, I’ve definitely slacked and my eating, well….

Let’s just say being healthy is climbing a mountain and I’ve slid way far back down. Giving up is much easier than perseverance and in a lot of ways I gave up. I didn’t care. There was so much I couldn’t do and that just killed my motivation, killed my caring, killed all my good and hard work.

While Joseph and I were at the beach, I went for a walk on my own. There is something about the beach that is very therapeutic to me. Part of it is, I can connect to nature without bugs, but another part is that I enjoy the water and the breeze and the feel of sand between my toes. So, while Joseph and Emmy played in the waves, I went for a stroll.

Self-consciously, once I felt like I was far enough away from Joseph and Emmy, I started to try and jog. I hadn’t jogged since before I hurt my knee and if it was a big dud, I didn’t want to have to talk about it. And my breathing was on point, my knee felt fine and I jogged the better part of my mile and a half jaunt. I feel like that jog helped me rediscover the part of me that cares about being healthy and fit.

Sunday, Joseph let me steal the last beach morning run before we left and I took off with Zombie Run playing in my earbuds, an app I hadn’t used in I don’t even know how long. All in all, with walking and jogging, I pushed myself to do a 5K and it just all felt good (and a little bad, in that way that working out sometimes make you feel). I honestly could have cried because I felt good about being active in the first time in a long, long time.

So this is me, sharing my struggle, and my joy. I’m ready to head back up the mountain.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

Like us on Facebook